Hereford City Heritage
The Mayor’s Chain
Hereford’s Turnpike or Toll Gates
A turnpike gate, or toll gate, was va barrier placed at certain points on the road, at which tolls were taken from passengers in vehicles, to pay for the road’s upkeep. They were first established in 1663, in a few counties, and later extended to the whole country. They were finally abolished, in the city, in 1870, and later in the county. They had all been abolished by 1888.
dated before 1869
The second building on the left is the Essex Arms, occupied by Mrs Sophie Parry. In the background can be seen Symond’s Hospital.
[Home] [Description of the City] [City History] [Time-Line] [Almshouses] [Civil War] [CityGates] [Hereford's Monasteries] [Nornan times] [Population] [The Castle] [The Cathedral] [The Old House] [Town Hall] [Churches] [Railway] [Municipal History] [maps] [Notable Citizens] [BluePlaque people/places] [Pictures-Old Hereford] [Hereford Twinning Association] [Site Map] [Terms] [Acknowledgements]