BuiltWithNOF

Hereford City Heritage

The Mayor’s Chain

A TIMELINE OF HEREFORD

 

600-500BC Bronze age man leaves his weapons at Fayre Oaks

75 Romans at Kenchester - stay for 300 years

c 650 The Saxons create a settlement at Hereford

676 Hereford is given a bishop

700 Hereford has grown into a busy little market town

760 The English fight the Welsh at Hereford

late 8th century -Original St Guthlac’s founded

c800 Probable building of first bridge

900 Hereford is a fortified settlement as well as a market town

914 The Danes attack Hereford but are repulsed

1030-40 New stone cathedral built

1050 Castle built

1055 The Welsh burn Hereford

1060 New stone defenses built

1080 Building of new cathedral begun

1085 St Peter’s Church founded

1100 Many Normans live in Hereford. A stone bridge is built over the Wye

1121 There is a Jewish community in Hereford. The town has an annual fair as well as weekly markets.

1140 St Guthlac’s moved to new site outside walls

1145 Cathedral consecrated

1180 A new Bishops Palace is built

1189 Hereford is given a charter (a document granting the townspeople certain rights)

early 13th century - All Saint’s Church founded

1227 Hereford is given a second fair. In Hereford the main industry is wool making.

1250 Grey Friars established in city

1256 First record of a Quay

1265 Suburbs destroyed to prevent use by rebel barons

         Escape of Prince Edward(later Edward l) from castle

1282 Bishop Thomas Cantilupe dies and is buried in Hereford. In 1320 he is canonised and people flock to visit his remains.

c1319 Black Friars established in Widemarsh Street

1348-9 Plague first hits Hereford

1383 the first record of a mayor in Hereford

1384 A grammar school is founded in Hereford. The population of Hereford is about 5,000.

1461 Battle of Mortimor’s Cross. Owen Tudor executed at Hereford.

1490 Present Wye Bridge built

1580 Plague strikes Hereford

1610 Plague strikes Hereford again

1614 Coningsby Hospital is built

1621 The Old House is built

1630 Aubreys Almshouses are built

1642-45 During the Civil War Hereford is changes hands several times

1650 Nell Gwyn born in Pipe Lane (Gwynne Street)

1680 The wool industry in Hereford is in rapid decline

1710 Bluecoat School founded

1716 Three Choirs Festival inaugurated

1739 Hereford Journal first published

1760 First theatre probably built

1757 Hereford has a population of 5,592. It has declined in importance since the Middle Ages and is now a quiet market town.

1774 A group of men are formed with powers to pave and light the streets of Hereford.

1782-98 City Gateways demolished

1783 Hereford Hospital is built

1786 The west tower of Hereford Cathedral collapses

1801 Hereford has a population of 6,838

1811 Guildhall built in Widemarsh Street

1819 Shire Hall built by Smirke

1836 Hereford gains gas street lighting

1842 New St Nicholas’ Church built - replaces old church at top of Bridge Street, by Orange Tree Pub.

1851 Woolhope Club founded

1854 The railway reaches Hereford

1856A waterworks is built in Hereford

1860 The Buttermarket is built

1873 A museum and library opens

1883 H P Bulmer’s works started in Maylord Street

1889 H P Bulmer’s works moved to Ryeland Street

1892 Closure of Barton passenger station

1897 Victoria Suspension Bridge is built

1899 Hereford gains an electricity supply

1904 A new Town Hall is built

1911 The first cinema in Hereford opens

1922 A War Memorial opens in St Peters Square

1930 John Masefield, Poet Laureate, received city freedom

1931 The population of Hereford is 24,000

1932 Hereford Times becomes only surviving local paper

1940 The County Hospital opens

1949 Hereford Technical College opens

1953 Henry Wiggin and Co Ltd., opens Hereford works

1963 Kemble Theatre demolished

1966 Greyfriars Bridge and ring road opened

1968 An inner ring-road is completed

1981 Hereford Cider Museum opens

1996 Mappa Mundi Library opens

1998 The Courtyard Arts Centre opens

2003 The population of Hereford is 56,000