Hereford City Heritage
The Mayor’s Chain
Butcher’s Row, from a sketch by David Cox, 1814
Built in 1621, the Old House is a half timbered Jacobean house, the only one remaining of an old street called Butcher's Row, which stands on High Town, the commercial centre of Hereford. Opened as a museum in 1929, it is furnished as it would have been in its early history. It is thought that it was originally built for a wealthy butcher or a retired drover - but no record of its original owner exists. A coat of arms, placed above the porch, signifies the Butcher’s Guild of London. This is considered curious as Hereford had its own Butcher’s Guild which occupied rooms in the nearby Market Hall. If the property was the house of a banker-drover, then it was appropriate that at the end of the 19th century it became a branch of the Worcester City and Coventry Banking Company. This bank, subsumed later into Lloyd’s Bank Ltd., occupied the property until 1928, when it was generously donated to the City of Hereford.
Please click here for more information taken from the
[Home] [Description of the City] [City History] [Time-Line] [Almshouses] [Civil War] [CityGates] [Hereford's Monasteries] [Nornan times] [Population] [The Castle] [The Cathedral] [The Old House] [Town Hall] [Churches] [Railway] [Municipal History] [maps] [Notable Citizens] [BluePlaque people/places] [Pictures-Old Hereford] [Hereford Twinning Association] [Site Map] [Terms] [Acknowledgements]