Hereford City Heritage
The Mayor’s Chain
The Old City Guildhall, Widemarsh Street
The Guildhall, built in 1811 on the site of the New Inn, stood at the junction of Maylord and Widemarsh Street. Most City functions were held there, including the Three Choirs Festival. The laying of this stone was the last duty performed by the Mayor, Louise Luard, who was the first lady Mayor of Hereford, holding the office in 1929 and again in 1936. It was Mrs Luard who added the link to the Mayor’s chain depicting a jumping Wye Salmon. Underneath this foundation stone is a ‘time capsule’ box containing copies of local newspapers, photographs and council minutes.