Hereford City Heritage
The Mayor’s Chain
The Mansion House, Widemarsh Street
The Mansion House was built by Doctor William Brewster, who left his collection of rare books, in 1715, to Hereford’d second chained library at All Saints Church. In 1694, Doctor Brewster purchased the ‘Blewhouse’ and adjoining properties, which he then demolished. He built the Mansion House in 1697. Important features of the house are the cornices, eaves and decorated modillions. The oldest part of the building is the cellar, part of which extended beneath Widemarsh Street itself. The house got its present name in 1763 when it was bought by the Corporation (the forerunner of today’s council) for the purpose of housing the Judges during assizes, and also for the Mayor’s use.