Hereford City Heritage
The Mayor’s Chain
Description of the City - taken from Littlebury’s Directory and gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
HEREFORD, a city of considerable antiquity and historical interest, is picturesquely situated nearly in the middle of the county, upon both banks of the River Wye. It is the capital of the county to which it gives its name; is the see of a bishop, a parliamentary and municipal borough, head of a polling district, county court district, poor-law union, and petty sessional division; is the place for holding assizes and sessions for county and city; has its own deanery, archdeaconry, ecclesiastical and probate courts, etc.,; It is an important railway centre between the northern and midland counties of England and South Wales. Its geographical situation is 52deg3’2” north latitude, and 2deg43’1” west longitude, from Greenwich. It is locally situated in the hundred of Grimsworth. The general aspect of the city much that is ancient and venerable, with indications of a high degree of commercial prosperity and modern refinement. It is well paved and cleanly kept; the streets are regular, some of them spacious and handsome; and the public buildings evince much judgement and tatse. The city is well lighted with gas, and there is a plentiful supply of water. A recent writer characterises Hereford as “one of the best-built and most agreeable cities in the kingdom”.