Hereford City Heritage
The Mayor’s Chain
Bishop’s Meadow and King George V Playing Fields
The hanfing over of the Bishop’s Meadow and playing fields was a sign of trust between the church and council, which weas often a problem in the past when the church attempted to provide temporal as well as pastoral care to the people. It was the original idea of Bishop Percival to donate the land opposite his home to the children, and it was Bishop C Lile Carr who completed the handing over of the deeds to the Mayor, Louise Luard. The unveiling of the plaque on 29th July 1937 was a grand occasion, although Queen Mary did not even leave her car - a marked contrast to earlier in her visit when she went on an impromptu ‘walkabout’ in Queens Wood, where she was persuaded to plant a commemorative tree.